Sunday, September 26, 2010

a yellow lab named magnum

As I was driving out of town this afternoon I passed a yellow lab running along the side of the road. All alone, no leash happily trotting down the 55 mph road. Normally when you see a dog offleash it's in a neighborhood and by the time you pull over the dog has taken off. But on this particular road I knew this dog wasn't supposed to be out so I drove a bit further to a driveway so I could turn around & head back toward's him. As soon as I pulled off the road he galloped over, so happy to see someone & even kissed my chin. [if my heart could have melted more for him it would have]

I checked his collar, no tags. Perfect. And the house we were in front of didn't look like anyone was home so I tried the house across the street. After the man peered at me suspiciously through the front window he told me he didn't know who the dog belonged to and shut the door. Really? Just shut the door....not maybe hang on to the dog since you're at home and I'm in my car? Nope, obviously it wasn't his problem. So my great plan was to get him back to my car and call the local police to see if anyone had reported a missing dog. At this point in the story I'm sure all my friends are expecting to hear that I took him home with me and it was looking like that was pretty probable but as we were waiting to cross the street at the end of the non-helpful guys driveway a black truck slowed as it approached & pulled into the next driveway to turn around.

Luckily it was Magnum's owner [who introduced himself but with my notoriously bad memory I've forgotten his name] who had been looking for him for over an hour & was very appreciative that I stopped. And to Magnum's owners credit he did have a tag with his info, it was secured to his collar not hanging off an 'O' ring like typical tags so it isn't as likely to fall off.

So good deed done for the day, Magnum is safe & sound and hopefully I have a little good karma for me as well.

stumble it !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...